25 Ideas to improve your newspaper
- Sell rack card spaces to advertisers.
- Sell poly bag spaces to advertisers.
- Look for alternative delivery products.
- Get coupons from advertisers. Give away to renewals.
- Call manufacturers for FREE SAMPLES as “ADD-ONS” to daily newspaper.
- Build on your N.I.E. program.
- Develop and use SAME logo on ALL in-house ads, T-shirts, Signage & ALL Promotional Material.
- Be involved in as many community activities as you can.
- Use or Start a Local Welcome Wagon.
- Analyze newspaper strengths and weaknesses.
- Analyze your department strengths and weaknesses.
- Buy copies of competitor paper and analyze for strengths and weaknesses.
- Develop a Mission Statement for your department.
- Write department goals on chaulk board for ALL to see . . . . . update weekly.
- Set up recycling bins for newspapers where traffic is highest.
- Involve everyone in Strategy planning at least once a year.
- Compliment your staff at least once a week.
- Have a department awards banquet once a year.
- Have a Master Calendar (Yearly) for ALL Sales & Promotion events. Post for all to see & keep updated.
- Start a “Partners In Education” Program. Get wide variety of businesses to sponsor N.I.E. papers. Thank them publicly in sponsor ads.
- Target one day per month as “Zero Complaint Day”. Treat carriers in winning district to a pizza party.
- Set up a recycling trailer for newspapers. Find an organization that will buy the newspapers. Advertise it. Donate excess money to local charities and civic groups.
- Run a subscription offer on the back of cash register receipts.
- Run a SUNDAY ONLY conversion ad in the TV book. It is the one part of the newspaper that remains in the home all week.
- Build a customer Birthday data base.